Monday, April 25, 2016

I have been resting....

I feel like a bear fresh out of hibernation. I find myself resting more often. My body seems to want time to adjust to the longer days of Spring. My walks are leisurely again. My blog a quiet reflection that my sewing is simple right now as I continue to create "made fabric" for my Rainbow Girl border and chain piece "eye spy" blocks for my H2H Happy Chemo quilt. My rests are, of course, filled with  daydreams of summer sewing, reading and gardening. I've even allowed myself to wander mindlessly through pinterest more often than not for inspiration. And I'm brainstorming details to host an "Eye Spy Summer Swap" here on my blog. (Wouldn't that be fun!)
Adult Brown bear rests on a log at the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center::
I find myself different emotionally this Spring. I feel matured. Funny thing to say huh, but I bet many of you know what I mean. As our children grow, our parenting role changes. The changes I notice in myself this Spring were not accomplished over night....yet, are the lessons often learned through life's heartships and disappointments as we transition from one chapter of life to another. Over the past few years especially, I have learned the peace found in acceptance and the strength gained in faith.

My middle age life is, like many of you, surrounded by twenty somethings that my own journey towards accepting them as young adults has been pivotal to my own growth. My blessings certainly outweight my disappointments, but never the less, the obstacles sometimes heartbreaking. To let go of my own dreams for my children and our family with acceptance, while at the same time remaining open in faith to that which comes along in their place, has been my greatest challenge. 

I'm grateful that over the past years especially, that they have been patient with me as I've grown into a parent/mentor who has learned to listen quietly, realizing that listening is most often the ONLY thing they need to feel helped, as they really are capable young adults. LOL! Anyhoooo....
How to get people to LISTEN!-  Let’s start by understanding that getting someone to listen to you is a common problem: very good people (supervisors, friends, parents) don’t always listen well—at least not in the way you might like.  In other words, having someone in your life who truly listens first, waits, and then listens some more without offering reactions or advice is rare.:
If we were at a quilting class, sitting side by side, this is my life and learning right now and most likely what I'd share with you, my quilty friends. as I unwrapped a Dove Dark Chocolate and got back to sewing along side you.

Val's Quilting Studio

15 comments:

  1. What lovely words to express the often difficult transitions in life. I'm facing some big transitions myself in the next few years and I really needed to hear these thoughts, so thank you for sharing. Hugs. (And feel free to pass the chocolates 😉)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I Spy Summer Swap?? My ears are perked up. My thinking cap is on. What could I fussy cut for I Spy blocks? Please let us know what size squares, so we can start the search.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Linda...I hope you see this as you are a no-reply blogger. The eye-spy squares will be 4 inch squared. Have fun collecting!!

      Delete
    2. PS: You'll need a 1/4 yard of 10 different eye-spy fabrics for the swap.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing a bit of yourself and your journey Val. Boy can I relate to that learning to listen part! Listening without judging, commenting or fixing is definitely a learned art and in my experience an art that takes a lifetime to master. My journey is still in progress *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  4. I understand your need for rest and peace! Good luck--the end of the school year is not exactly compatible with that. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post is a beautiful piece of writing with so much heart in it. It touched me because I can relate. Thank you for your poetic words, Val.

    ReplyDelete
  6. sounds like you are well sorted re the children growing up, mine are 44 and 40 but still seem very demanding and at times harder work than when young. Rest and peace sounds wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  7. beautiful. I can relate. Listening to one's spirit. LeeAnna

    ReplyDelete
  8. Makes me want to take a moment to just breathe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your comments about your kids, and the quote about listening, made me think of this book I have been reading ('The Gratitude Diaries: how a year looking on the bright side transformed my life', by Janice Kalan). In it, the author speaks about how her young-adult son came to visit, and, instead of telling him what she thought he should be doing (as she usually did), she decided just to listen to him and be gratful for the person he was - in response, he was happier in her presence and opened up to her a lot more than he ever had in the past. It's hard to open up to someone when you are always expecting them to critises your decisions, but as soon as she stepped back from the critical mum role and just appreciated him for who he was, he was more than willing to open up to her and there relationship became so much closer.

    I guess, as you get older your relationship with your children changes. It sounds like you have reached a lovely stage now where you can be a friend and a mentor, an equal, yet also a respected elder. Enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sometimes you just need a time like this to rest and be. I really love what you wrote about acceptance and being open to faith, even through times of heartache. Hang in there kiddo and rest as much as you need to!

    ReplyDelete
  11. With a teenager heading to college in a year, your words really stuck home. It's a bit frightening to think about the path that she has to navigate and the knowledge that we can't tread that path with her but just be there if she stumbles.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Life is full of transition. Just when we think everything is moving along smoothly, then BAM a surprise. Particularly when dealing with my children I need to step back, breath (maybe have a glass of wine or two), pray and then remember that we have raised them to be good people and it will all work out. Resting our soul, saving our energy, taking care of ourself is so important. The adventure will continue! But that makes life interesting!

    ReplyDelete

I have to admit, your comments make me smile! Thanks for sharing and for letting me know you stopped by. I Hope your day is awesome!

Val:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...